Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Der Bankomat

European ATMs know where it's at. Or at least the people who program them do.

First off, they acknowledge that no one in the world withdraws cents from an ATM, so you never have to type in the two zeros after the decimal point. If you want 50 euros, you simply type in 5 and then 0. Done.

Also, a European ATM gives you your money only AFTER it has spat out your bank card. This is great! That means the only way you'd ever walk away from a machine without your card is if you also walked away without getting your money. Not likely to happen. So it spits out your card, then comes your money. In the U.S., my bank always asks me (after my money's come out) if I want to do something else while my card is still in the ATM. What else would I want to do? Put the money I just got out back in?