Thursday, June 25, 2009

Rain, rain, rain...

When I was a student here back in 1990-1991, it rained all year, I swear. I lived about 20 minutes by bike from my classroom buildings and often I would sit in class totally drenched, chilled, miserable. I ruined more than one pair of shoes.

When I worked at the international school here, I didn't bike as much so I don't remember the weather as clearly. Jenny claims her year here was pleasant, and I believe her.

But Salzburg can be so miserable, and that's what it's been lately. It's the end of June and we've seen day-time temps between 50-55. Today is the first day in about 8 where we've seen the sun, and that was only after a full day of rain.

Back in the fall, we were a flea market and I saw these pair of galoshes. I asked the guy how much they were (something like $3), and because the fall had been so pleasant, I then asked him if he could guarantee that it was going to rain this school year so that I'd use them. It's an inside joke if you're from Salzburg because it always rains here.

A new professor in the German department (he's been here a month), a young guy from Southern Germany, told me yesterday, as I'd never heard anything like it, that he'd ruined a pair of boots the previous day peddling to and from the University.

Willkommen in Salzburg, buddy.