Sunday, May 24, 2009

Arguments and Statements of a 4-year-old

Nikolas loves to learn--he really does. If I explain to him how soap works (no mention of ions, of course), he runs to his mother and tells her what he's learned.

But he reaches a point when he'd like to have something to add. It might mean changing the rules of a game (not to make it easier for him to win--if anything, his rule-changes make it difficult for anyone to win) or it might mean changing chemistry concepts. Or sometimes he says things to just be different or to get a rise out of us.

Today included some dingers.

When we got back from being away, we put a pot of coffee on to brew. After a few minutes, Nikolas called out, "Mommy, I smell coffee." Jenny replied, "That's because I put some coffee on." Nikolas whined, "But I don't want to smell coffee."

Okay.

Both Jenny and I took turns hitting the tennis ball with him. It was hot today and we practice on the tarred surface of the entrance to a church. I know. It sounds silly but it's a BIG entrance. Anyway, we were both exhausted from running around. Nikolas hits everything but it doesn't always go right to us (which it shouldn't in tennis). While we're both panting, desperate for shade and water, Nikolas says, "Ok, this is the game--I run around this area and you two try to catch me."

Uh, no.

As Nikolas watched an ice cube melt into water, I explained that water can exist in three states (I don't know why my high school chemistry is coming out lately--it was 20 years ago!): solid or ice, liquid or water, and gas or steam. "No," Nikolas said in German, "there are four states: ice, water, steam and noodles."

Okay.

Later, Nikolas said, "You know that show that has a character in it that wears a white shirt and has hair like me?" We didn't know what show he meant. "They found dog bones on that show. I eat dog bones, you know."

Okay.